The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) from the EU, which went into effect in 2018. The regulation may come from Europe, but most American companies are also impacted. If your website has any EU visitors, you must comply to the requirements of GDPR.
Here are some of those requirements:
- Visitors must have the following:
- right to withdraw consent to collect their data
- right to request deletion of previously collected data
- right to download their data that was previously collected
- Companies must notify visitors of a data breach after it occurs
There are a variety of ways that a WordPress site may collect data, such as contact forms, analytics, user registrations and comments. If you aren’t sure how your website is collecting data, contact us for help!
IMPORTANT: The author of this article is not a lawyer and can not provide legal advice. Please consult a lawyer or specialized consultant to be sure your website is in full, legal compliance.